Imagining a Different Space for Worship
I envision a worship space that I know I will never see in reality. It's the product of a number ideas rolling around in my head. Central to my vision is an understanding that worship is a physical act, not just a mental and emotional reality.
1. In the Eucharist, the baptized join the whole church on earth and the whole host of heaven to sing the song of the seraphim. I take that almost literally. At the table of the Lord, a door opens between heaven and earth so that we can see what Isaiah saw - the Lord, high and lifted up. At the table, we can see what John saw - and the Lamb who was slain at the center of the throne, with all the elders falling on their faces before him.
I envision a worship space that portrays that reality artistically, and which allows Christians to live it kinetically.
2. The basic form of the historic western Eucharist is important for forming Christian identity. A mass-shaped worship service need not, however, incorporate all the the smells, bells and formalities of high-church liturgy. The musical elements and acts of praise prior to the Eucharistic prayer can take a number of forms. Scripture and preaching are essential.
I envision a worship space that provides flexibility in form but still visibly highlights the centrality of the word and sacrament.
3. The ancient practice of differentiating the mass of the catechumens from the mass of the baptized made an important statement about the nature of the church. The catechumens and inquirers need not be sent away, but a marked shift in the liturgy seems important to me. (Yes, I know that the United Methodist Church currently allows unbaptized persons to receive communion, but it has also come to acknowledge that baptism and communion ordinarily belong together. Unbaptized communicants should be counseled toward baptism. Ignoring the difference in status between the baptized and unbaptized is not the United Methodist position.)
I envision a worship environment in which different physical spaces distinguish the work of the learner-inquirer from the unique work of the baptized.
4. The ecclesiastical architecture of Orthodox churches has caught my attention. A dome over the nave portrays Christ enthroned in the heavens. Behind the iconostasis, the priests perform their sacred functions at the altar. In some ways, the sacred space is akin to the Holy Place in the temple, which only the priests could enter. The priests enter the sacred space by way of the beautiful door. The door is opened at points in the divine liturgy so that the people can see in.
I envision a worship space that re-imagines the Orthodox plan in a more Protestant direction. The dome of heaven is moved from the nave - which remains rather utilitarian in structure - to the area above the chancel. A kind of gateway arch replaces the iconostasis separating the nave from the chancel. The gate has the shape of a Roman arch of triumph because Christ leads us in triumphal procession. Jesus is the central focus of the the gateway's art because he alone is the gate for the sheep. Several scenes from the gospel narratives - including Jesus' death and resurrection -are depicted on the face of the arch.
Through the gate baptized believers process to the table at the time of the offertory. The sacred space behind the gate belongs to all the faithful, not just to the priests. Like pilgrims going up to Jerusalem, the faithful ascend to make their offering. Instead of animals, they offer themselves in union with Christ's once-for-all offering on their behalf.
On the way they pass the baptismal font, by which God united them in faith to Christ and his church. Better yet, they pass through the baptismal font like Israel passing through the sea. Christ acts through the waters of baptism to make a way for those who believe.
As the baptized pilgrims come into the chancel area, they enter a visually different world. The circular chancel area is richly decorated with the colors of royalty. On the surrounding walls are paintings of the saints, the cloud of witnesses who share in this sacred meal. Above, in the dome, are angelic beings who surround the throne. Christ is pictured enthroned within the chamber. From the nave, one can only catch a glimpse of the glorious reality beyond.
Communion takes place in round. The entire assembly remains standing for the Eucharistic prayer and meal. Or perhaps kneeling stations can be provided. As the people depart the chancel, they pass depictions from the Book of Acts on the rear of the gateway arch, and depictions of the church in mission as they exit the nave.While the baptized are engaged in the liturgy of the Eucharist, the catechumens remain seated in the nave in prayer. A priest - or even a baptized member of the congregation - comes back from chancel to lay hands on them in blessing.
So that's the worship space that I've been envisioning. I know that I will never see it in physical form, and I will never find a Christian community that wants to worship in this way. I will just have to continuing seeing the saints and angels surrounding the throne in my minds eye when I come to the communion table.